Google Drive is like a big online folder where you can keep your stuff. You can put things like papers, pictures, and videos there. But, you only get a certain amount of space for free, and that space is used for things like your email and photos too. If you use up all your free space, you can’t put more stuff in Google Drive. So, it’s a good idea to make sure you have enough space by keeping things tidy and deleting stuff you don’t need.
There are two ways to make more space in Google Drive, depending on if you have a personal or a work account. This article will show you how to use the Google One Storage Manager tool if you have a personal account. If you have a work account, we will explain how to organize and remove files based on their size.
How to Use Google One Storage Manager Tool for Personal Accounts
If you have a personal Google account, you can use the Google One Storage Manager tool to help you identify and delete large files. That take up a lot of space in your Google Drive. To use this tool, follow these steps:
- Visit one.google.com/storage/management and sign in with your Google account details.
- You will see a summary of large files that Google has identified and where they live. Such as in Drive, Gmail, your Spam folder, and so on.
- Choose a category you want to target, such as “Large items” or “Items shared with me”, and click the related text shown (such as “Review and free up 2.3MB”).
- You will see a list of files that belong to that category, sorted by size. You can select the files that you want to delete by checking the boxes next to them.
- Click the delete icon at the top to remove the selected files from your Google Drive. You can also click the download icon to save a copy of the files elsewhere before deleting them.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 for other categories until you have freed up enough space in your Google Drive.
Note: Deleting files from your Google Drive does not immediately free up space in your account. You also need to empty your Trash folder, which still counts against your storage limit. To do this, go to drive.google.com, click Trash on the left sidebar, click Empty trash at the top, and confirm your action.
How to Sort and Delete Files by Size for Work Accounts
If you have a work account (Google Workspace), you may not be able to use the Google One Storage Manager tool. In that case, you can sort and delete files by size manually in your Google Drive. To do this, follow these steps:
- Visit drive.google.com and sign in with your work account details.
- On the left side, click on Storage. It filters your files and keeps the large ones at the top.
- Select the large files that you no longer need and click the delete icon at the top.
- You can also right-click on a file and choose Download to save a copy of it elsewhere before deleting it.
- Repeat steps 2 to 4 until you have freed up enough space in your Google Drive.
Note: As mentioned above, you also need to empty your Trash folder to free up space in your account.
Google Drive is a useful service that lets you store and access your files online. However, it has a limited amount of free storage space that is shared across your Google account. If you run out of space, you will not be able to upload or create new files in Google Drive. Therefore, it is important to manage your Google Drive storage and free up space when necessary.
There are different ways to free up space in Google Drive, depending on whether you have a personal or a work account.
If you have a personal account, you can use the Google One Storage Manager tool to find and delete big files that are using up a lot of space in your Google Drive.
For work accounts, you can sort and delete files by size manually in your Google Drive.
By following these instructions, you can free up space in your Google Drive and continue using it without any problems.
I hope this article was helpful for you. Thank you for reading! 😊